Sunday, July 16, 2006

Bad Theology: Jesus Take the Wheel

It was a real treat to get a little extra time on today's lesson. I wanted a chance for you to be able to dig into the reformed confessions in small groups so that you could work with them a little. I'm not sure, though, if that's really what happened. I didn't see and hear the confessions being useful to groups with answering the question, "Does Jesus want the wheel of my life?". Was it because there was too much to digest? Four pages is a lot of material. Please let me know what your thinking is on this.

I was impressed by how willing people were to challenge traditional thinking. (I bet this is another work of grace among us.) I mean, everyone knows that God wants control of our lives, right? And here we were walking around that assumption and seeing if it's Scriptural. I think challenging assumptions is important, too, especially if traditional thinking makes sense, but isn't actually Scriptural. Picture the woman in "Jesus Take the Wheel." How is she going to feel if she keeps waiting for Jesus to take over and he doesn't? If Jesus-takes-the-wheel theology is wrong, then she's set up for disillusionment because she believes true surrender means that Jesus tells her what to say and think and do, but as she tries to walk that belief out, she will continue to face situations where she's not sure what to do, where she has to struggle and think, and where she keeps having to choose. That sounds like my life, and all the choices make me wiser as year adds to year. it surely would be nice at times, though, to have someone who would take the wheel of my life. Sometimes, I get really tired of all of this responsiblity.

No comments: