Monday, August 21, 2006

Taylor's Bad Theology: Are You Proud of Me

"God, are you proud of me?" We kicked that question around yesterday, but I'm concerned that it became a distraction. I don't really know the answer to that, and I mainly meant to raise it as an attention getter. Now, that looks like a weak choice on my part.

The main thing I hope you carried away is the powerful truth of double imputation. When God sees us, he sees the perfect righteousness of Christ. He sees us just as if we've never sinned, but also just as if we've done everything right. He feels for us the same delight that he feels for Christ. Resting in that give such freedom and joy. We have nothing to prove to God. We have to do nothing to earn his favor. We have his favor! That truth is much more important than the fine distinctions around, "Are you proud of me?".

Please let me know any questions you have about double imputation. You can e-mail me by clicking "View My Complete Profile" on the left, or you can post a comment here. I check for comments during the week. Also, feel free to post a comment about the Is-God-proud-of-us issue. I'd enjoy hearing us kick that around this week.

No comments: