Monday, January 24, 2011

Dependence and Prayer

Yesterday's Sunday School class was on how the Father molds the circumstances of our life to keep us dependent on him. But, that's not to cripple us. In the context of "a praying life" (not a prayer life, as Paul Miller puts it in his book in Part 1), that dependence is what should cause us to learn to pray continuously, like breathing, throughout the day.


I decided to start the lesson by asking, "How did children come to Jesus?". The responses in purple on the white board were what the class came up with. I then asked, "Why do children ask as they do?". Those are the responses in blue around the outside of the board. Of course, getting our heads around how messily children came to Jesus and how they ask without shame or inhibition was a good way for use to begin to process how we don't usually pray that way. We so often believe that we have to clean ourselves up and get our prayers right. If we can't do that, we stay away from Jesus until we can get ourselves together. All the time, he's saying, "Child, come."

One of my favorite things about teaching at The Oak is the honesty that grace has given us. As we got into the lesson, I guided people to see that the messiness and brokenness of life is what often draws us to pray. When I asked them, "What are the messy places in your life?", I got answers like the ones in black in the center of the board. The first one was "screaming at my children," and the man who said that wasn't trying to be funny. He said his answer with a tone of how wrong he was to talk to his children that way. He lead out with courage and humility in talking about our lives honestly, and the other answers posted in black then flowed. 

And then, I think God's Spirit moved among us to draw us to his Son in our humility and poverty of spirit. We are broken people with messed up lives. We need to pray, not because we're spiritual and disciplined, but because we're desperate. I closed the lesson with the Jesus Prayer from the Orthodox church: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." That prayer is something I've learned to breath throughout the day in the quiet desperation of my life, and God draws me to himself and comforts me when I come like a child.

No comments: