Monday, February 06, 2006

Baptism: Looking back

We've covered our first topic in this series on sacraments and community. I hope you've learned something, somehow. I don't feel that things went really well--people seem to be all over the place. Maybe it's OK, though. I did see a lot of people thinking at least.

I guess the main point is that brief discussion we had at the end of yesterday's lesson. How does baptism make you love Jesus more? Oh, to think how we've been set apart, loved, cherished, saved, redeemed. To think that I, in all my sin, have been captured by this amazing love. In the midst of all of our (very good!) wrangling over the details of what baptism means, we must not miss the big picture that baptism paints for us. I've mentioned how the sacraments are to assure us. Take a look at the Heidelberg, Question 67: "Are both the Word and the sacraments intended to focus our faith on the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross as the only ground of our salvation? Answer. Right! In the gospel the Holy Spirit teaches us, and through the holy sacraments assures us, that our entire salvation rests on Christ's one sacrifice for us on the cross." Pointing us back to Jesus again and again and again. I need that.

I'll be interested to see any thoughts the rest of you have about what you think God was doing among us over the last 3 weeks. So please, comment away. Also, I've started up a webpage giving you links to on-line versions of the confessions (see below). Hope you find it useful.

http://homepage.mac.com/lmeadows/reformedconfessions.htm

No comments: